Saturday 20 May 2017

Pickled Asparagus with Balsamic Vinegar

Today I made pickled asparagus. 
I have been wanting to try something different. I love asparagus with balsamic vinegar and I thought I would try to make pickled asparagus using some balsamic vinegar. 
I used my regular recipe but I substituted 1/3rd of the regular vinegar with White Balsamic vinegar.
Alas, finding the right height canning jars has been difficult. I had to use the regular 500ml wide mouth jars. 

Lemon and Dill
 
Fresh Dill
Trimmed Asparagus
And here there are, packed into the jars along with the spices -- celery seed, all spice and mustard seed.

And here are the other 2 jars in the pot 
and after 10 minutes processing!


I won't be able to try the pickles for a week, but after tasting the brine, I believe these are going to be wonderful!

Tomorrow I am going to make regular asparagus pickles with what I have left. I have some regular quart sealers and will make them longer (for Cesars!!!)

Here is the recipe:


Ingredients
  • 6 pounds asparagus, trimmed to fit your pint jars
  • 4.5 cups vinegar (1.5 cup white balsamic and 3 cups white)
  • 4.5 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt (or pickling salt)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • Put in each jar:
  • 1/8 tsp celery seed
  • 1/4 tsp mustard seed
  • 1/4 tsp black peppercorns
  • 3 all spice berries
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 slice lemon
  • fresh dill
  • 7 500 ml (8 oz0 wide mouth jars (if you use the taller, 12 ounce jelly jars, you don’t have to cut your asparagus quite as short and you’ll probably fill 4-5 jars).
Instructions
  1. Sterilize your jars.
  2. Put the lemon slice, spices and dill in the bottom and pack the trimmed asparagus into the jars (it’s up to you to determine whether you want to go tips up or down). Tuck a garlic clove down into the asparagus spears.
  3. Bring the vinegar, water, salt and sugar to a boil. Pour into jars on top of asparagus, leaving at least 1/4 inch of head space.
  4. Put lids and rings on the jars and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes (you can skip this step if you plan on just putting your pickles in the fridge).
 


21 comments:

  1. Report back on how it tastes. I love both foods too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious and they look beautiful with the lemon slices in the jar :)

    the critters in the cottage xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are impressed. Our mom does nothing that could possibly be considered cooking in any way, shape or form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's something new on the asparagus-loving humans here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Dad said it sounded like a lot of yum to him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oOOooooOOo I love the idea!!

    Nelli's mum You wanted our detail, I lost your email (which is my fault - sorry) and we will write asap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that sounds great... hope we will get some asparagus inour stores, the time is nearly over, thanks for a super idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks delicious and pretty!!

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks very good. We have lots of fresh asparagus from the garden, but the dill is just coming up so I guess I will have to buy some.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Human and I like asparagus just fine, but what we really came to say is: Nellie! My sweet darling darling! Are you gently (or even not-so-gently) helping your Mom find a new kitty to love??? Our little hearts sing to hear that. Do you know that my Human rescued me just three days after Clarkie went to the Bridge? She said she could not stand coming home to an empty house. We cannot wait to see who you lead her to . . . because we know whenever it happens, and who ever it turns out to be, will be the purrfect kitty for her. Although of course she could learn to hone her cat-staffing skills, you *DID* teach her a lot during your many years together. XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks amazing, Barb. And sounds delicious! We can hardly wait to hear how they taste when you try them in a week. :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love cooked, roasted and raw asparagus, but petcretary doesn't like any kind of pickle,MOL! Pawppy might though:)

    We didn't know you could pickle that! Its just the right time here for the first local crop...and we had some roasted for our Sunday Dinner. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow we are impressed...my peeps love asparagus BUT my mom comes from a very long line of ladies who only know how to open cans...not actually can wonderful veggies etc. My human sissy's Mother in law cans lots of stuff and she has a garden. Mom loves her pickles!!
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  14. it looks really good. Let us know if it is as nice as we think

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you like it. We don't eat veggies here, so none fur us fank ya'. MOL Big hugs

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
  16. TW sez don't cut off the tips. they're the only part of the 'gras she likes. Looks good though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never heard of pickled asparagus ... but I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those finished jars look lovely with the lemon in them! And we bow to your expertise -- no way would we let jour mom try to can ANYTHING.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, comments are closed on NELLIE's blog 😕

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.